1. About this policy
Storage King Pty Limited, SK Licensing Pty Limited, Storage King Management Pty Limited and Storage King Services Pty Limited (collectively Storage King) is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information which it collects and holds.
Storage King must comply with the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
- the kinds of information that Storage King may collect about you and how that information is held and collected;
- the purposes for which Storage King collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information;
- how you can access the personal information Storage King holds about you and seek to correct such information; and
- the way in which you can complain about a breach of your privacy and how Storage King will handle that complaint.
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
3. Collection and use of personal information
3.1 Types of personal information collected by Storage King
Licensees of self-storage units
Storage King collects information from you which is necessary to enable you to access and licence its self-storage facilities. This includes collecting personal information such as your name, date of birth, drivers licence details, passport details, address, email address, gender and any other information which is necessary to assist Storage King in providing self-storage services to you.
Franchisees/Licensees of Storage King trade marks
Storage King collects information from you which is necessary to properly manage and operate its business. This includes collecting personal information such as your name, address, bank account details and any other information which may be necessary appropriately conduct its business.
Storage King collects information from you which is necessary to assess and engage employment applicants. This includes collecting personal information such as your name, address, professional experience, qualifications, references, past employee details and any other information which is necessary to assist Storage King assess your suitability for employment.
Persons making inquiries regarding self-storage services
Storage King collects information from you which is necessary to follow-up your inquiry and provide you with newsletters and marketing information. This includes collecting personal information such as your name, address, email address, telephone number and any other information which is necessary to assist Storage King in providing information regarding self-storage services to you.
3.2 How we collect personal information
We will usually collect your personal information directly from you either face to face, over the telephone, via email or over the internet.
Storage King will only collect information which is necessary to provide you with services, appropriately manage and conduct our business or to tailor our services and products which it provides.
3.3 How Storage King uses your personal information
We only use your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected by Storage King (primary purpose), unless:
- there is another purpose (secondary purpose) and that secondary purpose is directly related to the primary purpose and you would reasonably expect, or Storage King has informed you, that your information will be used for that secondary purpose;
- you have given your consent for your personal information to be used for a secondary purpose; or
- Storage King is required or authorised by law to use your personal information for a secondary purpose (including for quality improvements within Storage King).
For example, Storage King may use your personal information to:
- provide self-storage services to you;
- provide services to its franchisees/licensees who operate Storage King facilities;
- contact you about our facilities, business developments, products and services which may be relevant to you, where you have provided us with consent to do so;
- appropriately manage our business, such as assessing insurance requirements and conducting audits;
- compile statistics regarding inquiries and customer information for purposes of improving our services and tailoring our marketing;
- assist it in running our business, including quality assurance programs, billing, improving its services, implementing appropriate security measures and training personnel; and
- effectively communicate with third parties, including SK (Licensees) Pty Limited and any related bodies corporate.
3.4 Complete and accurate details
Where possible and practicable, you will have the option to deal with Storage King on an anonymous basis or by using a pseudonym. However, if the personal information you provide us is incomplete or inaccurate, or you withhold personal information, we may not be able to provide the services you are seeking or deal with you effectively.
Storage King uses camera surveillance systems (commonly referred to as CCTV) for the purposes of maintaining safety and security of its business premises and managed facilities. Those CCTV systems may also collect and store personal information and Storage King will comply with all privacy legislation in respect of any such information.
4. Disclosing your personal information
Storage King will confine its disclosure of your personal information to the primary purpose for which that information has been collected, or for a related secondary purpose. This includes when disclosure is necessary to provide services to you, assist us in running our organisation, or for security reasons.
We may provide your personal information to:
third parties involved in providing services to you, such as:
- SK (Licensees) Pty Limited ACN 083 056 544; and
- Storage Check Pty Limited ACN 129 521 848, an entity which operates a data base containing identification and collection of information about problem storers;
- government law enforcement departments, such as State Police Departments and the Federal Police;
- any person who can demonstrate to the satisfaction of Storage King a legal or equitable interest in any stored goods;
- liquidators, administrators or other persons appointed to administer your financial affairs;
- third parties contracted to provide services to Storage King;
- any of the related bodies corporate of Storage King;
- anyone authorised by you to receive your personal information (your consent may be express or implied); and
- anyone Storage King is required by law to disclose your personal information to.
5. Data storage, quality and security
5.1 Data quality
Storage King will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information which is collected, used or disclosed is accurate, complete and up to date.
All your personal information is stored securely by Storage King or third party information storage providers, including overseas providers in Taiwan, Singapore, Finland, Chile, Belgium and Ireland, in either hard copy or electronic form.
5.3 Data security
Storage King strives to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of personal information, and will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Storage King reviews and updates (where necessary) its security measures in light of current technologies.
5.4 Online transfer of information
While Storage King does all it can to protect the privacy of your personal information, no data transfer over the internet is 100% secure. When you share your personal information with Storage King via an online process, it is at your own risk.
There are ways you can help maintain the privacy of your personal information, including:
- always closing your browser when you have finished your user session;
- always ensuring others cannot access your personal information and emails if you use a public computer; and
- never disclosing your user name and password to third parties.
6.1 Piwik and Google Analytics for Display Advertising
A 'cookie' is a small data file placed on your machine or device which lets Storage King identify and interact more effectively with your computer. Cookies do not identify individual users, but they do identify your web requests, ISP (which can be used to locate your general location), browser type, browser language and the date and time of your request.
Storage King uses Piwik and Google Analytics for Display Advertising which use a third-party DoubleClick cookie to collect data about the way you use our website and send various cookies to your browser. This allows Storage King to collect demographical information about you such as your general location and gender. Storage King uses the information which it collects about you so we can customise our website to suit the needs of our users and modify and market our services.
6.2 Remarketing, Display Networking Impression Reporting and Demographics and Interest Reporting
Storage King uses Remarketing with Google Analytics to advertise its services and products online. Third party vendors, such as Google, show Storage King's ads on internet sites and use first-party cookies and third-party cookies to load ads based on your prior visits to the Storage King website. This allows us to deliver advertising content specifically targeted to the interests you have expressed during those previous visits.
Storage King may use Google Display Networking Impression Reporting to collect and process information about how its services and products are considered by customers online. We and other third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) to report about customer impressions of Storage King advertisements, other uses of advertisement services and how interactions with these advertisement impressions and services are related to visits to our site.
Storage King may use Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting to collect and process information about the demographics of its online customers. We will not collect any information via this method which can identify you, but may collect general demographic information including your age, gender, and interests which we may then use to target our advertisement campaigns and enhance our products and services.
6.3 Opting-out and controlling advertising cookies
You can prevent your data from being captured by Google Analytics and Piwik which is used by Storage King (in the ways outlined above) by either:
- opting-out of Google Analytics by downloading and installing the add-on for your web browser located at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/; or
- opting-out of Piwik by clicking the link and following the prompts at http://storageking.piwik.pro/?module=CoreAdminHome&action=optOut
7. Links to other sites
Storage King may provide links to third party websites. These linked sites may not be under our control and Storage King is not responsible for the content or privacy practices employed by those websites. Before disclosing your personal information on any other website, we recommend that you carefully read the terms and conditions of use and privacy statement available on the relevant website.
8 Accessing and amending your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information which Storage King holds about you. If you make a request to access your personal information, we will ask you to verify your identity and specify the information you require.
You can also request an amendment to any of your personal information if you consider that it contains inaccurate information.
You can contact Storage King about any privacy issues as follows:
If you have a complaint about Storage King's information handling practices or consider we have breached your privacy, you can lodge a complaint with:
- the Privacy Officer, on the contact details listed in clause 8 above; or
- the Office of Australian Information Commissioner.
Storage King deals with all complaints in a fair and efficient manner.